We are still in the depths of our Australian winter, beautiful brisk sunny days and cold evenings. This week’s blog is a compilation of recipe ideas for you to try over the chilly months.
Hassleback Sweet Potatoes (Suitable from step 3)
• 1 medium Sweet potato per person
• 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary
• 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
• Drizzle of olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a baking sheet with foil.
2. Scrub the skin of the sweet potatoes thoroughly.
3. Use a very sharp knife to make several vertical cuts from the top of the sweet potatoes most of the way through, stopping about ¼ inch from the bottom.
4. Place the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet.
5. Drizzle with olive oil.
6. Roast for 60 to 75 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are soft.
7. While the sweet potatoes are in the oven, in a small bowl mix garlic, rosemary and thyme and a small drizzle of oil, spread over top of sweet potato for the last 10 minutes of cooking.
Serve with a Portion of Protein and spinach leaves.
Shepperd’s Pie (Suitable from step 3)
• 3 peeled, diced
• 2 tbsp reduced fat sour cream
• Pepper to taste
• 500g lean minced beef
• 1 medium onion, diced
• 1 celery stalk, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, diced
• 30g mushrooms, diced
• 50g frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, corn, peas, green beans)
• 2 tbsp flour (or use GF flour)
• 1 ½ tsp Cambridge Golden Vegetable flavouring
• 2 tsp salt reduced tomato paste
• 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
• 1 tsp freshly chopped rosemary leaves
• 1 tsp freshly chopped thyme leaves
• Cracked pepper to taste
1. Boil potatoes in a medium pot of water until cooked and soft.
2. Drain and mash with vegetable flavouring, sour cream, pepper, set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 200°C.
4. In a large pan brown meat over medium high heat, breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
5. Add the oil, onion, garlic, mushrooms and celery and sauté on medium heat about 6 to 8 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
6. Add the flour, frozen vegetables, , tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, thyme, cooked meat and mix well. Simmer on low about 8-10 minutes.
7. Spread the meat on the bottom of casserole dish or individual ramekin dishes. Top with mashed potatoes and sprinkle with paprika
8. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, then place under the grill 1 to 2 minutes until the potatoes turn golden.
Greek baked Fish (Suitable from step 2)
• 1 Onion sliced
• 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
• ½ tsp chopped fresh or dried oregano
• Drizzle of olive oil
• ½ lemon cut into wedges
• 2 tomatoes cut into wedges
• 2 fresh white fish fillets (about 200g)
• small handful of parsley roughly chopped
1. Heat oven to 160°C. Place the white fish, onion, garlic, oregano and olive oil into a roasting pan, season, then mix together to coat. Roast for 10mins, add lemon and tomatoes, turn everything over and bake for a further 10 mins. Sprinkle with parsley.
2. Serve with steamed green vegetables.
Enjoy and stay warm!