Twenty NineteenJanuary 16, 2019
Love FIERCEly this February…February 6, 2019
With the whole country being in the middle of hot Summer days and heat waves, why not mix up your hot meals for something fresher with these delicious summer salads.
Why not try some of these yummy recipes…
Summer Greek Quinoa Salad (5 servings)
A bright and summery Greek quinoa salad with arugula, nectarines, and mint. This summer quinoa salad is a delicious light meal on its own, or the perfect complement to any BBQ
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 2 cups green salad mix
- 2 nectarines sliced
- 2 cups cucumber sliced and quartered
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- fresh mint and basil to garnish
- 1/4 cup low fat feta cheese to garnish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/3 cup fresh mint packed
- 1/3 cup fresh basil packed
- pepper to taste
Whisk or blend all ingredients together. Drizzle dressing over salad and serve.
Grilled Zucchini Salad
- 4 medium zucchinis sliced
- 2 ears of corn, shucked
- 1 teaspoon of oil
- 4 cups salad greens
- A few handfuls of alfalfa sprouts
- 1/2 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 1 tablespoon dill
- 1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup water
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. salt reduced soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove
- Optional: a pinch of cayenne
- Oil and preheat your grill to high. Toss the zucchini and corn with the oil. Grill on high, turning the zucchini once and the corn a few times. Cook the zucchini for 3-4 minutes per side and the corn for 10 minutes. When the corn is cool enough to touch, cut off the kernels.
- While the zucchini and corn are cooking, place all the sunflower seed dressing ingredients into your high-powered blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Layer the salad greens, alfalfa sprouts, chickpeas, cabbage, dill, and the grilled zucchini and corn in a large salad bowl. Pour the dressing over the top and toss to coat
Carrot and Ginger Salad
- 1-2 heads of broccoli
- 3 carrots shredded
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1 tbs salt reduced soy sauce
- 2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- Steam the broccoli.
- Cook quinoa according to instructions.
- While the broccoli is steaming and the quinoa is cooking, throw all the ingredients together for the dressing.
- Whisk them in a small bowl .
- Once the quinoa and broccoli are done throw everything together in one big bowl
Greek Vegetable Salad
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- ½ cup chopped capsicum
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Lettuce leaves
- ½ cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese optional
- In a large bowl combine tomatoes, cucumber, capsicum, red onion, thyme, and oregano. For dressing, in a small bowl whisk together balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Pour dressing over vegetable mixture. Toss gently to coat.
- If desired, line a serving bowl with lettuce; spoon in vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with feta cheese. M